Ready to Join Us?
Are you a new or prospective volunteer? Review our Volunteer Requirements below, then choose the category that best describes you.
Please note that while you may request to work as a volunteer in a specific area, your preferences cannot be guaranteed, and all new volunteer positions are assigned based on the organization’s needs and volunteers' availability. For a list of opportunities, visit our main Volunteer Services page.
- Must be aged 18 years or older. The high school/teen volunteer program previously managed by Volunteer Services has been discontinued
- Second semester college/university students or upper classes required
- Commitment to one, 2-4 hour shift per week for a minimum of six months or two complete semesters for students, with a maximum of two shifts per week
- View Virtual Volunteer Information Session video
- Completion of application process
- Proof of identity and citizenship status
- Reference check and criminal background screening
- Adherence to Michigan Medicine agreements, including Code of Conduct; commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and understanding of health and safety protocols
- Completion of vaccination and medical requirements, including COVID-19 bivalent booster administered after September 1, 2022.
- Volunteer orientation and training
- Placement interview
- Returning volunteers must complete an annual update to renew their credentials: visit our Returning Volunteers page for more information
General volunteers include community members, college students, and graduate students who would like Volunteer Services help in finding a volunteer placement. Please view the Volunteer Information Session video for information on the Michigan Medicine Volunteer Program and instructions on how to apply and begin your volunteer experience.
The high school/teen volunteer program previously managed by Volunteer Services has been discontinued. Individuals must be aged 18 or older to volunteer.
For those who have a pre-established placement in a lab, clinic or research area. See our Pre-Approved Volunteers page for details.